Sunday, March 15, 2009

Unalakleet Day 3

Thanks to the GPS trackers, we knew Lance Mackey was way ahead of the pack. We also knew the approximate time he'd be pulling in to the Unalakleet checkpoint. A huge group gathered to see him... including us!






I met Mackey briefly during the Musher's banquet a week before the race started. He seems very nice and very humble. Mackey has become a celebrity but it hasn't gone to his head. Seeing him interact with the locals in Unalakleet reaffirmed that!







Carolyn and I have been collecting interviews during our trip to do a bigger picture story on what kind of impact Iditarod has on small communities / villages along the trail. I overheard an older man talking to someone and he had a very thick accent. I started chatting with the man - his name is Harvie - and it turned out that he and two of his friends were from New Zealand. They came to Alaska just to experience Iditarod. He was such a character and a delight to talk to!




Our stay in Unalakleet is coming to an end and I gotta say, I am very sad to be leaving because the hospitality from the Erickson's has been amazing. Our first day there, Donna said, “I hope you guys like to eat ‘cause I like to cook!” And let me tell you, she is one heck of a cook! We've been so spoiled over the past few days! From blueberry pancakes and reindeer sausage to moose stirfry, halibut souflee, baked salmon & even moose pizza... Mmmmm... The meals have been so delicious! Like most people in Unalakleet, the Erickson's are subsistence hunters. They live off the land and the sea.



The photo below is of the moose pizza I mentioned. It was by far the BEST pizza I have ever had!!!! It had no sauce but was packed with tomatoes, green peppers, onions, spiced ground moose meat, and pepperonis on top.



A view of the Bering Sea as the sun sets. It took my breath away!! Tomorrow we head to Nome!

No comments: