Saturday, March 7, 2009

It's time for Iditarod!

The 37th annual Iditarod Ceremonial Start was held today in downtown Anchorage. A couple of months ago, my boss Steve MacDonald told me I had been selected for this year's "second crew" -- that means I will be covering the feature stories (the feel-good stories) on the trail. Photojournalist Carolyn Hall and I will be based out of two checkpoints: McGrath & Unalakleet -- and we'll be at the finish line in Nome. Our trip will last 9 days... we leave Tuesday... and I could not be more excited.

For the past few years, KTUU has put on a LIVE three-hour special to air the Ceremonial Start. Ted Land and I were asked to help out -- he talked to people in the crowd while I had the task of talking to each musher before they hit the trail. It was an AMAZING experience... and I can't wait to get out on the trail!





One of my tasks was to introduce dignitaries, including Governor Sarah Palin...

This is what the crowd looked like around her -- it was crazy!

Two-time Iditarod winner, Lance Mackey.

Thanks to Dean Robertson for carrying my clipboard with my cheat sheet of mushers!

1 comment:

Sally Parrott Ashbrook said...

Fun! I'm so glad you got to cover that. It's very cool.