The washeteria isn't that comfortable of a place to work. The only place to sit is on top of the empty equipment boxes. It's either that, or stand all day. I'm pretty exhausted from these past few days, but am having fun.


Scott doing laundry while we work.

The focus of our story today is on a rookie musher who's the son of a longtime Iditarod contender. Chad Lindner & his father, Sonny Lindner, took their 24-hour break in McGrath. We caught up with Chad before he left.





Here's how the story with Chad turned out:
This is our last day in McGrath. Tonight, we load up all the equipment and head for Unalakleet. I'm not sure what's in store for the next stops along the trail... but I can't wait! Hopefully no more standing up while scripting stories! Haha!



After a looooong day of work & loading equipment / moving it from the washeteria to the B&B... all of us except Kevin walked next door to the local bar to have a drink. A woman behind the bar took my order, brought me my drink, and said, “That’ll be $4.50.” I turned to Shirley and said, “I can’t believe how cheap drinks are here! In Anchorage that would be 10 bucks if not more!!” She pointed out that the cheap liquor could be the reason why everything else in town is expensive – a bottle of water (small bottles) will set you back $2.
We each had a couple of drinks and went back to the B&B. Shirley, Ian & Scott had spent the previous nights sleeping on the floor at the washeteria. Tonight, all six of us were in one room – some sleeping on the two full size beds and some on the floor. Here we are just before going to sleep. As soon as all the lights were turned off, someone started cracking jokes and Shirley and I started laughing and couldn’t stop. Then Carolyn joined in. It was great. All the guys were like, “Alright already, go to sleep!” And just like that, we were out.


1 comment:
It's great to see your stories pop up every now and again giving a unique insight into what you are covering.
I'm glad to see you are loving Alaska like my family has since we also left Georgia. It has a totally different culture than found here and we are always happy coming back from Atlanta or the South.
Keep up your great storytelling as it has been great watching you become a insightful wordsmith.
Icewind
Post a Comment