Saturday, November 17, 2007

Flying high...

I worked on a story this past week about a tiny community in Alaska -- named Willow -- that has been growing at warp speed over the past twenty years. And since the area is so rural with houses spread out and tucked away, we needed a way to get a birdseye view of Willow.

While working on a different story a few weeks ago about a new sports complex in Wasilla, I interviewed the owner Scott Johannes. After the interview, we were standing around talking and Scott threw out the invite to take us up in his plane if we ever needed aerial footage. He said he rarely had the chance to fly and could use an excuse to get up in the air. So... when this story about Willow came up, I called him and asked if he'd take us up.

We got aerial footage of the Valley, and the experience of flying in Scott's little Cessna was absolutely amazing. At first, I was a little skeptical about going (the runway was icy and it was overcast)... but I figured, if we crashed and I did die -- it'd be worth it. Haha. The view was absolutely breathtaking!!!! And stupid me forgot to take along my digital camera, so to see the shots, you'll just have to watch the story -- by clicking here.

For those of you who come to visit me, plan on taking a flight tour. I can't wait to go again!

No comments: