My first full week in Alaska... and it went by at warp speed. Since my arrival, daylight is getting short and winter is quickly approaching. The highs last weekend were mid to upper 50s. Today, the high may barely hit 50... more like upper 40s.
Went to REI and bought some necessities for life in Alaska, which include: snow boots, really thick socks, base layers (capilene), a ski jacket & pants (waterproof and insulated), ear warmers and gloves. I actually look forward to putting these items to good use, however, I will not be too thrilled when the bill arrives.
Speaking of other expensive purchases: When I bought my Subaru, I went ahead and bought studded tires. I probably won't make an appointment to have those put on until the weather forecasters say, "Snow's coming!" The mountains in the Valley are halfway covered with a nice layer of snow. Winter's definitely on it's way... but it could still be a couple weeks before Anchorage gets any. Ice, on the other hand, is a big possibility. It rained yesterday, but cleared out this morning leaving the skies overcast. I'm hoping for nice weather tomorrow so I can take some photos and post 'em on here.
Saturday, October 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment