Saturday, October 27, 2007

A few FIRSTS

During a live shot earlier this week, I was standing outside thinking, "I should've worn more clothes to work today." It's one of those uh-oh kind of moments where you hope it just passes and you get through it... and it doesn't make you sick. On Wednesday, I had another live shot scheduled outside and I called the producer, Tracy.

Tracy: Hey, Lori. What's up?
Lori: Oh, just wanted to let you know it's snowing up here... like, really coming down.
Tracy: Cool. That'll make for such a pretty live shot.
Lori: ......Seriously? *sigh*

I hung up and thought, What have I gotten myself into with this new job? Haha.

Kris, the photographer I work with in the Valley, sat up the live shot right outside the door to our Bureau so I wouldn't have to stand outside too long... but I had snow flakes in my hair.

Finished with the live shot and went outside to crank the company vehicle, which was already covered with about two inches of snow. Jesus! It was a really dry snow that I was able to just brush off. Got in and started driving to Anchorage but was really stressed with driving in the snowy/icy conditions (there is often black ice).

My throat was scratchy earlier that day but I just shrugged it off because I didn't have any medicine. By time I got home, I had a sore throat and was not feeling that great so I took some medicine and immediately went to bed. Woke up in the middle of the night and felt like absolute death -- but still set my alarm to go off so I could call in to work.

It's amazing that a sore throat, which can sometimes just be more of a nuisance than anything, can also make you feel absolutely horrible. I had a fever and couldn't even stand without becoming dizzy. Needless to say, I called in SICK. My first sick day....... being the realist that I am, I know there will be plenty more. I get two weeks worth. Thank goodness.

2 comments:

Alison said...

oh my, you really are having an adventure, love the stories!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're taking care of yourself and being willing to call in sick when you need to!