Friday, September 28, 2007

"You have missed your flight."

FYI: A policy of Frontier Airlines is that all passengers must be checked-in at least 45 minutes prior to departure. That is a firm policy… so when I arrived 40 minutes prior to my flight time (since I knew security times were only 10-15 minutes), the woman at the check-in counter looked at me and said, “I’m sorry, but you have missed your flight.” … What? “Our policy is…” and she points to a nearby sign. There is no mention of this policy on my ticket, so I was completely flabbergasted. Most airlines suggest that passengers arrive one hour early, but to make it a policy? Wow. Never have I ever heard of such a thing! I’m standing at the counter looking at the clock saying, “But the plane doesn’t leave for another 40 minutes… actually, almost an hour since it takes passengers time to board!” Ughhh!

At first, I was upset… but I held my cool and asked about my options – was there a later flight? If not, can I cancel my ticket and use another airline? Could I fly out tomorrow? Thankfully, the employee I was dealing with was very understanding and nice. She rescheduled my flight for the next day at no charge (whew)!

That meant getting to Alaska a day later than scheduled, but I knew it would be okay. Sure, there will be a couple of things I might not be able to take care of on a Saturday (due to offices being closed), but it will eventually get done. Perhaps missing my flight was a blessing in disguise?

2 comments:

Sally JPA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's a Hartsfield policy, actually. We experienced the same thing on Delta and pitched a fit because the clock said 45 minutes but their computer said we only had 44 left. In our case, it reaaally messed up our flight plans. Other airports have 30-minute ones, but I've never seen a 45-minute one before Hartsfield.