Saturday, June 26, 2010

Big River Lakes

Bob's mom, Sheila, came up for a week long visit and during her trip, Bob arranged for our friend Keith to take her on a flightseeing trip over Cook Inlet. I decided to tag along because I can never resist exploring and seeing new places throughout the state. We met Keith at his plane at Lake Hood in Anchorage.


Sheila in the front seat!

The views from up above were amazing. The landscape along Cook Inlet looks vast and barren.

Seals taking advantage of the tide... and soaking up sun on the mud.

I love how the streams wind back and forth out to the Inlet.


Mount Redoubt letting off some steam!


I had been told by several longtime Alaskans that Big River Lakes is THE place to go to have an up-close experience with brown bears. Once Keith landed the floatplane, he taxied over to the corner of the lake where a stream ran in to it. Sheila asked him how long it would be before we saw a bear and he told us it could be just a few minutes. I wasn't that optimistic, but sure enough, after about 5 minutes, a brown bear wandered out from the woods.




There were two fairly young and small bears that we saw and watching their behavior was, at times, comical.

No comments: