Sunday, July 5, 2009

Independence Day!

In the world of News, reporters and anchors rarely get holidays off. That's not the case for those in radio. So even though Bob had July 4th off, yours truly was stuck working. Once I made it to the office, I was immediately assigned to cover a press conference Gov. Sarah Palin had called at her home in Wasilla. She revealed at that press conference that she would not be running for re-election... in fact, she was stepping down from her position early. Needless to say, it was a very hectic day of covering this story. We had planned on doing LIVE broadcasts from outside Palin's home for the evening newscasts, but I was getting calls from national TV networks asking if we could do LIVE hits for them earlier in the day (since the East Coast is 4 hours ahead of us). I agreed to do a LIVE interview on the PBS NewsHour with Jim Lehrer. Judy Woodward was filling in for him that night. It was very exciting to be on PBS. I was only given a 30 minute warning to prepare so I quickly called my parents to tell them to tune in.

We pulled a very long day and once I got back to the station, I was asked by MSNBC to do a LIVE interview at 4 a.m. Saturday. I agreed, but that meant getting very little sleep before doing so... plus, Bob was already down at Kenai Lake camping and waiting for me to get there. He was initially disappointed that I wasn't coming down right after work, but he understood.

When I made it down there, the weather was spectacularly beautiful. Sunny and 70 degrees. Our friend Paul brought along his boat, so we went from Kenai Lake up into a channel from the Kenai River that feeds into the Lake to see if we could catch some fish.


It was a beautiful spot that we had all to ourselves.




Unfortunately we didn't catch any fish, but we still had a great time nonetheless. How do we look in our waders? Haha!


No comments: