Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Couple of Firsts

Despite being very sick with a nasty head cold, Bob convinced me to go camping with him down on the Kenai River this past weekend. We had heard that the reds (a type of salmon) were running so Bob couldn't resist fishing! And to be honest, neither could I. Even though I felt like death, I put on my fishing gear and tried my hand at it. It's hard to tell from this picture, but I really didn't feel so hot...


Within the first 10 minutes of us fishing, Bob caught a big red! Unfortunately, the net we used to scoop it up had a hole in it so it slipped away. After fishing for about 30 minutes, I caught my first-ever red salmon.













Bob helped hold up my first catch so I could snap the picture.







He then filleted the salmon and we had it for dinner. Talk about a fresh catch!! It was so yummy!!!


Yours truly is becoming quite the fisherwoman!
Yes, Bob is SO proud. Hahaha!


Later that day, Bob's friend Larry invited us out to go dipnetting at the mouth of the Kenai River. It was a first-time experience for both of us. I had never seen anything like it. They let me steer the boat, which was somewhat stressful because there were so many other boats surrounding us... but I managed okay.


Grown men standing in the backs of boats with huge dipnets waiting for red salmon to swim in to them. They were so fast with snapping the nets out of the water and slinging the salmon in to the boat. Fish scales were flying everywhere!





Both were great experiences that I will never forget.

No comments: