Thursday, December 27, 2007

Up in Flames!

Since Matt is going on leave later this week and won’t be back until mid January, we decided to go ahead and take down the Christmas tree. I know there are several dump sites post-holiday where you can take trees, but when I asked Matt what we should do with it, he joked, Let’s just burn it in the backyard... In true Alaskan fashion.

I laughed and stood there looking at the bare tree and asked, Why not? Matt dragged the tree out the front door, down the stairs, and across the several inches of snow into the fenced backyard. The backyard at my rental house is very large… and empty. Nothing nearby to catch fire, thankfully.

Matt said, I need to find some newspaper to set it on fire.
I looked at him with one eyebrow raised. Newspaper? Have you seen how dry those needles are? Just strike the match and throw it on there. So, he did.


























Within a matter of seconds, the entire tree became engulfed in flames.  It didn’t take long for the fire to destroy the tree – maybe a few minutes total?  






































Nope, that's not snow falling from the sky... it's ash!!
After the fire burned off the limbs, the tree crumbled and fell into the snow... putting it out.  Talk about an easy cleanup!  And we didn't have to haul the tree very far.  Haha!



No comments: