Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Bear-y Special Treat

After a fishing / float trip down the Kenai, Bob & I were driving back to our campsite when we noticed there were several vehicles pulled off the side of the road. Everyone was looking toward the river. So out of curiosity, we stopped, too. What they were looking at wasn't the river, but what was walking on the river bank -- a big, beautiful brown bear.



We stood in awe of the bear as it made its way down the river bank and over to an area where it decided to take a rest. The photos make it look like we were right up on the bear, but that wasn't the case. We were at least a few hundred yards away and I was able to zoom in to capture the moment.








I'm very sad to say that just a couple hours after we saw this bear, it was shot by a couple of hunters. The hunters caused quite a controversy because those who were watching the bear say that they chased the bear into the woods across the road and shot it. Poor bear! Sniffle!

No comments: