Thursday, October 16, 2008

Wind Storm Damage

On the evening of October 9th before leaving the Valley Bureau to head home, one of my friends Paul said, "Be careful driving home tonight... I heard the winds are going to be pretty brutal." The National Weather Service had issued an advisory for all of Southcentral because a high front was pushing in and would battle current cold temperatures.

In the middle of the night, Bob and I awoke to the sounds of wind gusts blowing up against the house causing it to shake. Turns out, the winds were 80 to 100 mile an hour. It felt like we were in the middle of a hurricane. And this lasted ALL night. We heard loud slamming sounds and also heard a crash that awoke us (I'll get to what that was here in a second). The power didn't go out, surprisingly, until about 3am. Bob got up and went to work -- which freaked me out 'cause I didn't know if it was safe for him to get down the hill because of the winds -- but he made it safely. Kenny and I woke up around 6am and found a radio so we could listen to Bob & Mark. We lit almost every candle we had in the house and found a few flashlights and sat in our dining room, waiting patiently and wondering if the winds were going to die down. I walked into the sunroom and something caught my attention... there were tree branches on one side of the roof. Turns out, a big tree in our backyard fell over onto the glass ceiling of the sunroom. My guess is that's what the crash was in the middle of the night. Luckily, it didn't break through. The winds did finally calm a little before 8am and when I went outside, it was really warm -- probably in the 40s? Keep in mind, it had snowed just a few days before... So it was much colder than that earlier in the week... But all the snow was blown away.

I didn't get a chance to take photos of the damage and destruction right away -- and it actually snowed AGAIN before we were able to get the tree off the house!!! So then I took pictures so Bob could show the insurance agent with his claim. We were actually without power for almost two days because of the storm.



No comments: