This morning started just like any other typical morning... which includes me rolling out of bed, stumbling into the bathroom, turning on the radio, and getting ready for a brand new day. I like to listen to KWHL while going about my daily morning routine but as soon as I flipped it on today, I heard Bob ask, "Governor, where are you?" ... Gov Sarah Palin's response: "All I'm going to say is that this is a great day for all Alaskans. I've gotta go. Seriously. I'll talk to you soon."
... Huh? ...
Apparently, Bob & Mark had heard that Presidential candidate Senator John McCain would be announcing his VP running mate today and rumors were flying that Gov Palin had been selected. So I ran down the hall and flipped on the television to see what networks were broadcasting about the news.
Before my eyes, I saw it unfold -- McCain at the podium gushing over little known Governor Sarah Palin who could potentially become Vice President of the United States. It seemed so surreal, really. Just last week, Bob and I were hanging out with her and four of her children at the AK State Fair in Palmer.
I truly admire Governor Palin because she is an inspiration for all women to go after what they want in life. She seems to have it all and juggles it well (from what we can tell): a loving, caring husband (married 20 years), along with five children, a close family support system, and a successful career that's making a difference here in the state of Alaska. She came from a middle class family with no political ties. In her two years as Governor, so far, she has taken great steps forward in helping improve this state and she has the highest approval rating of any Gov in the country.
Hearing McCain speak so highly of her was not a surprise ,but it did bring a tear to my eye... simply because it made me think of her parents, Chuck and Sally Heath, and how proud they must be of her. (I met them at the Mat-Su Hospital the day Palin's 5th child, Trig, was born in April.) I couldn't wait to talk to them about it. So as soon as the speech was over (I couldn't leave the house before then - haha), I jumped in my car and headed north to the Valley to see if they'd give us an exclusive. And luckily, they did.
Friday, August 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment