Many oppose TransCanada because they say they would prefer to have an “all Alaska pipeline” – one that benefits us first and foremost. Doing my research and finding out what TransCanada is all about, I must say I am actually in favor of it… simply because TransCanada is in the business to build pipelines. They’ve successfully done that for 50 years. When Governor Palin proposed AGIA – Alaska’s Gasline Inducement Act – it was meant to prompt the oil companies into doing what we’ve wanted for so long… Building a pipeline. But they didn’t jump on the ball like TransCanada did. In fact, they wanted it their way or no way and called it the Denali Plan.
The House voted to approve the license and now the bill moves over to the Senate. Some are skeptical whether or not the Senate will even vote before the deadline (August 2nd).

Photo courtesy Brian Wallace/Juneau Empire
All in all, Juneau was quite an experience. The most interesting part for me was meeting the lawmakers -- many of them were so friendly and helpful. I had several politicians go out of their way to introduce themselves to me, telling me they already knew who I was from seeing me on Channel 2! (That's a really good feeling, I tell ya.) We worked very long days (between 12 and 14 hrs) and didn’t get much time to see the city –- which was okay because the weather was really cold (50 degrees for the high) and rainy. I’d like to come back to visit Juneau early next summer, probably in late May or early June, for a long weekend.


1 comment:
Lori, I can't live through you vicariously if you don't post more often than this. ;)
Post a Comment